The current trend within industrial manufacturing is to apply open, fenceless robot systems in order to allow easy access for humans to the robot cell, to assist and collaborate with the robot, when desired. However, this poses challenges related to physical safety og comfort; however, at the same time, to meet the required performance and productivity of the robot systems.
Safety Monitoring System (SAM) offers this functionality by utilizing state-of-the-art object sensing technology to develop a complete low-cost, add-on system with cutting-edge functionality for human safety and comfort adapted to the requirements of open, fenceless robot systems.
The SAM4ROB project was carried out by the following partners:
- PPM Robotics AS, Norway
- F&P Robotics AG, Switzerland
- YUJIN Mechatronics Ltd, South Korea
- DLM Kft, Hungary
- Daegu-Gyeongbuk Institute of Science & Technology, South Korea
- Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Hungary
SAM can cover a single robot cell or be a part of the planning and safety system for an entire factory, and contain the following modules:
- SAM Detector; A radar and vision-based solution for safety zone monitoring and tracking of the operators' motions on the factory floor
- SAM Processor; An add-on software, to enable the safety and comfort related functions to standard robot controllers
- SAM Bridge; An on-the-fly production scheduling software synchronizing robot cell controllers and Manufacturing Executive Systems, in order to include the safety related incidents, in real time, into the production planning
For more info, please visit this website.